Google

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

"We take care of our boys on the force."


Last night, I had occasion to go to The Flying Saucer with my friends Rachel, Patrik, and Mark. I can't say that I had a great time, really, save for the company of my chums. I felt as if I were staring into a sea of date rapes gestating in the minds of overactive imaginations fueled by the world's finest lagers.

Good thing I don't drink, hm?

In any event, a gentleman (who will remain nameless, I don't call everyone out you know) with whom I am acquainted arrived on the scene just as the night was winding down. We see each other out at the late-night stops in Memphis frequently and we always have a good laugh. However tonight, I was surprised to get an earful regarding the liquor store he runs and how pleased he is to have local police stopping by all the time. He unearthed a couple of excellent stories about situations that had occurred and how officers had managed to nab the suspects and/or scare the living daylights out of them with their mere presence at the store. As we were talking, he made it a point to let me know that "We take care of our boys on the force. We appreciate it when you guys stop by."

Realizing that he had clearly confused me with someone else, I was about to interrupt the laughter and explain that a mistake had been made. Just about then, he handed me his card and said, "You know, most places will give you guys a customer discount. I like to give you guys my discount. So, if you ever need a good bottle of wine or something, come see me, man. I'll take care of you."

Thinking down my Christmas list, I quietly pocketed the card, thanked him, and said nothing more about it.

Hope the boys down at the two-seven don't catch wind of this.


This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.