Google

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Oh HAY WHAT IS THIS? HOLY CRAP, IT'S AN UPDATE!



Ok, yes you're correct. It's been over a week since I updated last. But I can't just make news events and cool things happen -- you have to wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...BOOM. And then it all happens at one time. When it rains, oh yes...it does pour. First off, let me send congratulations out to a man I've known since I was two years old, Charles Burch and his wife Anita on the birth of their son, Zachary Cowden Burch! He was born on May 5, 2005 at 5:55pm. Yes, you are correct....5.5.05 5:55. Born on Cinco de Mayo and with that kind of birthdate??? I tell you what, that kid is going to have one hell of a birthday every year, aint he? This week I've managed to catch some great shows with my sometimes-partner-in-crime Rachel, J-Witnesse, Miss Hellion, Binge Crosby, Rachel V2.0 and a bunch of great music has been seen and enjoyed. Loved seeing Cory Branan and Tim Regan the other night at the Hi-Tone. Chatted with Dave Lorrison about the state of music touring, and even chatted with the unmutable Pesky Fly for a while about his fascinating upbringing in Detroit & something I did not realize we shared -- a life in the theater. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I discovered how deeply involved in the theater he is & it was ultimately refreshing to hear someone espouse similar beliefs about the way things are. Chris, I wanna party with you, cowboy.

Thursday night lulled along at Dish where me and the crew chowed down on an assortment of delicious tapas & chilled out to a bunch of tasty house, soul, and brazilian grooves. The Rachels headed for the Hi-Tone, but I stayed back and kicked it with Miss Hellion, Richens, and J-Witnesse for a hot minute. The weather having been all over the place lately, it finally all caught up to me. I found myself home and in bed by 1am.

Of course last night was Friday the 13th and, like many nights, it started out with a grip of apprehension in the air. But then I was reminded of my sweet mother's voice telling me how Friday the 13th is "our lucky day". Lucky it was, in fact, for I spent the evening at the Hi-Tone listening to Vending Machine and The Glass, two of Memphis' brightest live acts. I told Robby Grant from Vending Machine that I really like their CD (which he recorded all himself on four track), but hearing the songs live gave me new perspective on the tracks. If I was unsure before, I'm convinced now of how fantastic they are. The Glass is always a blessing to watch because Brad Bailey has never finished a set without putting me in tears at least once. Why, might you ask? Some people have a feral, honest quality to their voices that words really can't describe. When I'm exposed to something that raw & beautiful, it is very difficult not to be overwhelmed easily.

I ran into tons of people at the show, Seth from This Is Goodbye, Dirk, Jake, and Jeff from Augustine (both those bands will be performing together at Newby's on May 21st) were there, Mark Jordan, Brooke and Lisa were holding it down, my roomie Jen and her other half B. Analog (fresh from their roadtrip to see The Decemberists, I am so jealous), the omnipresent Rachel, and like half the people in midtown! I saw my friend Jon, whom I'd been trying to reach by phone for a hot minute, and we ended up leaving right towards the end of The Glass's set to hit up Elizabeth Harris's birthday blowout. I think we hit the party right at the lull period between the mad rush and the beer run, so it was a quick hello and goodbye.

Tonight, however, you can be guaranteed to catch me at the Kid Polio video premiere and CD release party coinciding with a screening of the film RAD at the Media Co-Op at 9pm. After that, I might try to dig out to Melissa's house party & who knows where the night will lead.

I promise not to make any promises about updating this page more frequently. Now go get you some Pho, gotta get your vitamins if you want to grow up strong!

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.