Google

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

E.J., Is That Considered "Coughing", "Wheezing", or "Hacking"?

I think it's a cough but I'm not sure. This weekend practically did me in and, strangely enough, I'm one of the only people I know of who didn't drink! Well, for those of you who know me, you'd know that's not such a stretch. However, in spite of the alcohol-free festivities, I've managed to develop a lovely hacking cough which cannot be controlled by mere Claritin.

Firday night was nothing if not a total wash. I started to go to the festival Friday night, but when the lightning came, I decided I'd better shack up. Me and a friend ended up watching movies and listening to music all night.

Come Saturday, I was ready to get out of the house. I had a healthy breakfast, and I headed downtown to begin my media blitz. All of this, of course, is covered at the Beale Street Music Festival blog so I won't go back into details. I can report, however, that The Killers are not only four of the coolest guys working in music, they put on one hell of a show. I walked away exhausted but thoroughly impressed.

Sunday, I had what was to be a 20 minute interview with Ben Kweller, singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire. We ended up talking for an hour in his tiny, furniture-free dressing room which had a shared restroom. Wow, talk about some serious hospitality. The humorous part, not lost on me, was that the restroom was shared with Ike Turner & The Rhythm Kings -- all nine or ten of them. We got thru the interview great & I walked away with a feeling of great pride. I explained to Ben when we got started that I'm totally not a journalist, I'm not out to get some "hot story" to make my career, and that I'm sick of seeing artists I like getting their ass kicked in print because some rock snob journo woke up on the wrong side of his/her crack pipe. The shorter verion of that interview appears here for your reading pleasure.

Here's a couple of quick pictures I caught backstage after Ben's show with the help of Rachel's camera:



Yes, that is Kate Hudson getting her wrist grabbed by David Robinson of The Black Crowes. Hubby Chris is in the background talking with Ben Kweller.



Ben and Chris catching up a little bit.


OK, anyways, I've got work to do and so do you. Go get you some of them delicious mustard greens at Pho Hoa Binh, you look like you needs you some phytonutrients.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.