Google

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Protest Against Love In Action - Day Two - "I would rather you commit suicide than have you leave Love In Action..."

"I would rather you commit suicide than have you leave Love In Action wanting to return to the gay lifestyle. In a physical death you could still have a spiritual resurrection; whereas, returning to homosexuality you are yielding yourself to a spiritual death from which there is no recovery." --The Final Indoctrination from John Smid, Director, Love In Action (LIA)

That quote came directly from the mouth of that man. So now I ask you, my readers: what will it take? Is this what it will take to get you to realize what is going on over at Love In Action? Protest day two appears to have continued in much the same way day one did. About 30 people showed up at the center to show their love & support. While people stood outside with signs and began to organize more effective measures (including plans to protest twice a day on Tuesdays and Thursdays), I made a few phone calls to some old friends.

I rarely if ever call on old acquaintances for help, but this story grabbed me far too deeply to simply write about it in my own column. I know the national media needs to know what is happening here & I have a feeling that we will be hearing more from them very soon. Emails were sent out to some of the best people I know of in terms of gay activism and media outlets. I'm not at the point where I can name anyone's name right now, but once they see this quote, I can't imagine those folks not being steaming mad.

Essentially, John Smid is using rhetoric employed by a number of other self-help programs and applying it to homosexuality. To someone coming to terms with their sexuality, this type of statement is both inflammatory and irresponsible. Someone needs to expose this man and his organization for the fraud that it is.

Here is a link to the story that ran last night on WMC-TV 5. You'll need Windows Media Player to open it.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.