Google

Sunday, September 04, 2005

You Had Better Believe It: All That Is Left Of New Orleans Is The Bitter Sting Of Tears.

If you're like me, you've been sitting here updating your blog for the last several days, almost motionless except for a few phone calls to regional aid organizations, to friends, and the like. I was invited to any number of parties this past week. I ignored them all, because to be honest with you I'm in no mood for any kind of a party right now.

When I read and then watched this tale from Aaron Broussard, President of Jefferson Parish in New Orleans relaying the story of of "one of the worst cases of abandonment of Americans on American soil ever", the tears flowed out of my own eyes envisioning a fate so horrific it could not go unheard. Near the end, Broussard broke down while telling the personal story of one of his colleagues:

"I want to give you one last story and I’ll shut up and let you tell me whatever you want to tell me. The guy who runs this building I’m in, Emergency Management, he’s responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, “Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?” and he said, “Yeah, Mama, somebody’s coming to get you.” Somebody’s coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Friday… and she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night! [Sobbing] Nobody’s coming to get us. Nobody’s coming to get us. The Secretary has promised. Everybody’s promised. They’ve had press conferences. I’m sick of the press conferences. For god’s sakes, just shut up and send us somebody."
How can we as a nation of people allow this injustice to stand?

I have crises going on in my own life that need my attention, people who are depending on me in my own way. But when I see what has been happening, I can't have a good time. I can't smile and look the other way. I can't think about anything except for what I can do.

I don't fault any of my friends, many of them are having a hard time as well. Several have family directly affected by this tragedy. There is a part of me that dreams of being able to shut myself off from reality and escape from it when things of this magnitude occur.

I hope my friends will forgive me that I can't do that, as I forgive them for not being able to stop what they are doing to help. Thank you for understanding why I cannot be there for your parties or take pleasure from our gatherings so long as there is this kind of suffering so close to home. I'm not judging you or hoping to look like I'm better than you are for caring in a different way, and if you're really my friend I hope you know that.

It's just that some other people need my time much more right now, and there will be time for us all to get together again soon enough.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.