Google

Monday, March 21, 2005

Memphis: The City That We Call Home

There is some sort of unflattering gravitational pull that brings people back to Memphis. What is it exactly? I mean, nobody here seems to notice. We all live in the middle of the evenly-paced refuge of the quietude. We frequently take it for granted that Memphis is just a different breed from other major cities. It is only upon leaving that people begin to recognize the nuances of our town. Is it a big city with small town aspirations, or is it a little town with big city dreams?

Hard to know exactly what the reason is that people love it here, but how pleased I was to find out that two of the city's favorite sons are on their way back. At the fantastic Bloodthirsty Lovers concert tonight at the Young Avenue Deli, I ran into one of the most talented musicians I know, Ross Rice. I had a chance to catch up with him briefly and learned that he would be moving home soon. Within minutes of that conversation, I learned from a couple of friends that Cory Branan, an emerging young songwriter who shold not be missed, will be rejoining the ranks of the midsouth's finest in just a few days.

Regardless of the reasons, we're glad to welcome you both back with open arms. I wouldn't call it "homesickness" so much as "trustsickness". At home, there's usually someone on whom you can depend. I know that is true for me, and I'm grateful for being able to see it.

More later on today regarding tonight's welcomed (and unexpected) visit from the lead singer of The Green Plaids The Black Paisleys some band you've heard of.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.