Google

Sunday, March 27, 2005

R.I.P. Paul Hester of Crowded House

Paul Hester was a world-class drummer, one whose value to the world of popular music is emphasized in the works of both Split Enz, which he joined in 1983, and Crowded House, a band which he helped to form along with brothers Neil and Tim Finn. Unbeknownst to millions of fans worldwide, Paul was suffering from a lengthy battle with depression. His mates, according to published news reports, were unaware of the depth of his depression. Tragically, Paul's body was found in Melbourne's Elsternwick Park in Elwood on Saturday, marking the end of a career that spanned two-and-one-half decades. He leaves behind a girlfriend and two young daughters.

From News.Com.Au:

Last night, former Crowded House members, singer Neil Finn and bassist Nick Seymour, said they were reeling from the tragedy.

"I am devastated," Finn told The Daily Telegraph from London. "I have lost one of my best mates."

Finn, on tour with his brother Tim, is due to start four dates at the Royal Albert Hall in London, but may postpone the performances to fly to Melbourne today.

As news of Hester's death swept Sydney's Cockatoo Island Festival last night, You Am I singer Tim Rogers dedicated a song to the drummer during his set.

Split Enz and Crowded House members were contacted by Peter Green, from Neil Finn's office, yesterday. "I can't imagine a sadder day than today," Mr Green, Hester's long-time friend, said last night.

"I feel for Paul's little girls. We are still, all of us, asking why?"

Mr Green said Hester, a perennial joker on stage and off, had been in good spirits in recent times. "Paul had some dark moments. Some good days and some bad days, like all of us," Mr Green said.

Hester had returned from Dublin two weeks ago, where he enjoyed an upbeat visit with former Crowdies bassist, Nick Seymour.

"It was all good," Seymour said from Dublin last night. "The last words Paul told me were: 'I love you, mate. See you in town [Melbourne] in a month'."


I never knew Paul but certainly the music he crafted has had an impact on me and on many of those in my circle of friends. I send my condolences to his family and friends during this very saddening time. If you are a Crowded House or Split Enz fan, you can go here to find out more or to share your thoughts with others. Above all else, if you have a friend or loved one who is suffering from depression, I urge you to seek help.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.