Google

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Ok, Explain Memphis To Me in 2000 Words or Less.

I live in Memphis and I like it. In particular, I live in Midtown -- everything that I like about city living happens here. My family, all of whom I love, have all but disowned me for choosing the neo-Bohemian confines of Midtown over the cushy, well-manicured stronghold of our Eastern Bloc areas (also known as "where the white people ran away and moved to in order to avoid minorities"). I accept that they have never experienced the Memphis that I know and love or, perhaps, they have experienced it and find it none too charming. I've often found myself stumbling for the correct way to express to them what Midtown living is like because, as one is want to do in cases of potential verbal shuffleboard, I know they'll never get it. In spite of this exile of the spirit, they should never doubt that I still love them deeply and, in turn, I know that they love me back.

At heart, I'm a big city person -- the dirt, the shadiness, the un-nuanced povertiousness, the grafitti...they make city living what it's supposed to be. I could probably sit here and rattle on for a minute, but I've been hipped to a dramatic and well-written explanation of Midtown living over at Half-Bakered that everyone visiting here should stop and read. Now, please keep in mind that Midtown Memphis shares one commonality with New Orleans (for anyone who has ever lived there): the neighborhood can change almost completely if you just walk up one block. That being said, I'm urging you to check out Mike's insights into what makes the big city crew repeat our slogan -- "Midtown IS Memphis".

For now, I'm going to CK's on Poplar for a Paul Bunyan Breakfast and to listen to some Bobby Womack songs on the jukebox. You won't find bagels and cream cheese there, but if you ask nicely, the sweet lady behind the counter will remember to shake the orange juice jug before she pours you a glass so it won't taste like orange-tinted water when you drink it. You just read up, ok?

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.