Google

Friday, January 07, 2005

No Payola Left Behind

I know that I am supposed to stay away from hot political topics, but when I see things like this in the news, it's hard to resist:

USA Today is reporting that black commentator Armstrong WIlliams was paid nearly a quarter of a million dollars by the Bush Administration to promote its No Child Left Behind program. Williams' explanation?
"I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."
As laudable as it may be to follow your beliefs, there are some who are determined to ruin everyone's good time. For example, Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics just couldn't resist the opportunity to pour a bucket of cold water on Mr. Williams' pursuit of the American dream.
"Congress has prohibited propaganda."
As if this weren't enough to outrage your sensibilities, Bob Steele from the Poynter Institute for Media Studies piles on:
"I respect Mr. Williams' statement that this is something he believes in, but I would suggest that his commitment to that belief is best exercised through his excellent professional work rather than through contractual obligations with outsiders who are, quite clearly, trying to influence content."
But it gets better. Paul Begala, furiously interviewing for a new job after his Crossfire gig was canned, asks the $64,000 question:
The Bush administration has now on two occasions been cited by the Government Accountability Office for violating something called the Publicity and Propaganda Act, spending our taxpayers' money on propaganda, that is, putting out information, but not telling you that it's from the government. Now there's calls for this relationship to be investigated in the same way.

Don't you think that the administration has a problem when, on two prior occasions, they've been cited for violating the Publicity and Propaganda Act?
Williams, clearly eyeing Scott McClellan's job, answers:
You know, I am -- can easily sit here and criticize the administration. And I'm sure you have your reasons for criticism.

But you know what? The issue today is about my integrity and my character. I came on this show not to get into -- I'm a strong supporter of the Bush administration. The fact that I used bad judgment, it's not about Bush. It's not about anybody. It's about Armstrong Williams today. And that's why I'm here today as someone who wants to be responsible and set the right example.

Yes, there may be issues. But those are not the issues I'm dealing with today. I've got my own problems today and that's what I'm trying to deal with.
Exactly. It's not the adminstration's fault that you chose to take the taxpayer's money, and you're a real stand-up guy for owning up to it.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.