Google

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu! Hello, Beautiful 2005.



Rather than send out my traditional nengajō to everyone individually, I figured this year I would use the old Cherry Blossom Special to shout it out. Every time you visit this page you will get a new nengajo. I think there are 24 of them, I didn't actually count them (lazy?)

I feel a sense of renewal. This year already feels filled with opportunity. I have decided to take a positive outlook, to cut dead weight from my life and stick with things that give a sense of accomplishment.

Call it turning a corner or something. I dunno what to call it -- could be the crazy party we had last night at Melange, the time I got to spend with several good friends whom I have known since I was very young, or the time I got to spend with several new friends. There is a sense of a full circle happening in my life, a rounded-out approach to the world that I hope to take with me into the new year. It is really profound for me.

Now in keeping with that, I'm off to get a spoonful of black-eyed peas to protect the integrity of tradition. I don't put too much faith in superstition, but just in case everyone else is right and I'm wrong, what's a black-eyed pea going to hurt? In case you southerners didn't know, The Dixie Cafe has a tradition of offering black eyed peas for free every New Year's Day.

Mmmm. Free.

As other blogs have done, I urge you to focus this New Year's day on the blessing we have: Life. Our friends in Southeast Asia are in dire need of your assistance and I urge everyone to make a donation to American Red Cross or UNICEF, the two organizations whose presence is most deeply felt and needed there during this time. If you can only donate $5, that $5 will go a long way. $5 can provide an emergency health kit for one person for three months, with medical supplies and drugs to cover basic health needs.

Use these links to donate:

UNICEF's Support South Asia Program

American Red Cross International Response Fund

Now everyone go do good works & have a wonderful, happy 2005.

This Website and all Original Content herein is ©2004-2005 E.J. Friedman.
All MP3's/Audio Clips are here for SAMPLING PURPOSES ONLY.
If you represent an artist whose original works appear here
and you would like them removed, please email me.